Spinach + Leek Frittata
This frittata is delicious, healthy and perfect for a summer picnic or lunch box.
Serves 2 Prep time 15 min Cooking time 15 min
100g fresh spinach
4 large eggs
1 medium leek
50g grated Cheddar cheese or Parmesan
1 large clove of garlic, crushed
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons oil
Few gratings of nutmeg
You will need a 20cm (8 inch) frying pan
1. Wash the spinach and put the dripping spinach into a saucepan, add a tiny pinch of salt and bring to boil, turn down heat and let it cook for 2 minutes only until the spinach wilts but is still nice and dark green. Drain, allow to cool, then squeeze out all the water. Chop and set aside.
2. Trim and thinly slice the leeks.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a frying pan and fry the leeks and garlic, on medium heat, for about 5 minutes until softened- stir from time to time. Then scoop out and set aside.
4. Clean out the pan with absorbent kitchen paper. Pre heat the grill to high.
5. Beat the eggs in a bowl then stir in the leeks, the spinach and cheese.
6. Heat the remaining tablespoon oil in the pan. Pour in the egg mixture and cook gently on a low heat, for 5 to 6 minutes until the underside is golden brown
7. Now place under the grill and watch it carefully until it turns golden.
8. Ease the frittata away from the pan around the edges with a knife. Then place a big plate on top of the pan and turn it upside down so that the frittata falls onto the plate.
Top tip! Good to serve with roasted sweet potato wedges and a fresh salad.