Chocolate beetroot cake
This delicious chocolate beetroot cake is super easy and a real crowd pleaser.
Serves: 12 portions Prep time: 10 min Cooking time 50-60 min
75g cocoa powder
250g cooked beetroot
120g plain flour
60g wholemeal flour
2tsp baking powder
1tsp vanilla extract
200g light brown sugar
1. Heat the oven to 180C/Gas 4 and lightly oil and line a 20cm (8in) round or square cake tin.
2. Sift the cocoa powder, flour and baking powder into a bowl. Mix in the sugar and set these ingredients
3. Purée the beetroot in a food processor/blender. Add the eggs one at a time, then add the oil and vanilla and whiz until it is smooth.
4. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, add the beetroot mixture and mix it all lightly.
5. Pour into the prepared cake tin.
6. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean (cover with a loose sheet of foil if it starts to brown at about 30 minutes).
7. This cake will not rise a great deal, and the top will crack. After removing from the oven, leave it for 15 minutes before taking it out of the pan. Cool on a wire rack.
Top tip! These make great muffins too. For 12 large muffins, just bake for 20 – 25 minutes instead.
Lemon topping: (optional but tasty!)
200g mascarpone cheese
2 level tablespoons icing sugar
Grated rind of one lemon
1-2 tsp lemon juice
Optional – a little vanilla
Mix all together with a fork and spread over the cake/muffins when cold.
Don’t blend with an electric blender as it goes too runny.